Terms and Conditions of Sale
The Artesyn Embedded Technologies, Inc. company that accepts Buyer’s order for Goods is herein referred to as the "Seller" and the person or entity purchasing goods or services ("Goods") and/or licensing software and/or firmware which are preloaded, or to be loaded into Goods ("Software") from Seller is referred to as the "Buyer." These Terms and Conditions, together with any price list or schedule, quotation, acknowledgment or invoice from Seller relevant to the sale of the Goods and licensing of Software and all documents incorporated by specific reference herein or therein constitute the complete and exclusive statement of the terms governing the sale of Goods and license of Software by Seller to Buyer. Seller’s acceptance of Buyer’s purchase order is expressly conditional on Buyer’s assent to all of Seller’s terms and conditions of sale, including terms and conditions that are different from or additional to the terms and conditions of Buyer’s purchase order, and Seller expressly rejects any additional or conflicting terms specified in Buyer’s purchase order or any other document provided by Buyer. Buyer's acceptance of the Goods and/or Software will manifest Buyer's assent to these Terms and Conditions. Seller reserves the right in its sole discretion to refuse orders. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, in the event that the provisions of these Terms and Conditions conflict with the provisions of an effective agreement signed by a duly authorized representative of both parties (“Effective Agreement”) that applies to the transaction(s) contemplated herein, the Effective Agreement shall control.
1. PRICES: Unless otherwise specified in writing by Seller, the price quoted or specified by Seller for the Goods and/or Software shall remain in effect for 30 days after the date of Seller's quotation or acknowledgment of Buyer's order for the Goods and/or Software, whichever occurs first, provided an unconditional authorization from Buyer for the shipment of the Goods and/or Software is received and accepted by Seller within such time period. If such authorization is not received by Seller within such 30 day period, Seller shall have the right to change the price and other terms applicable to the Goods and/or Software to Seller’s standard price and terms for the Goods and/or Software at the time of shipment. All prices and licensee fees are exclusive of taxes, transportation and insurance, which are to be borne by Buyer.
2. INSURANCE; TAXES: In no case does the purchase price of the Products and/or Services (“Purchase Price”), even if inclusive of freight, cover the cost of any insurance; however, if the route selected involves movement of the Products by common carrier for which the freight rate does not include insurance, Seller may at its option, or upon Buyer’s instruction, procure insurance which amount Buyer shall reimburse to Seller. Unless otherwise provided on the Work Order, the Purchase Price is exclusive of, and Buyer is responsible for, all sales, value added, use and like taxes and any applicable customs duties, import licenses, excise fees or tariffs. Seller will invoice Buyer for all applicable taxes unless Buyer supplies an appropriate and valid tax exemption certificate.
3. TERMS OF PAYMENT: Unless otherwise specified by Seller, terms are net 30 days from date of Seller's invoice by bank wire transfer or automated clearing house in U.S. currency. Seller shall have the right, among other remedies, either to terminate this agreement and/or any other agreements between Seller and Buyer, or to suspend further performance under this and/or other agreements with Buyer in the event Buyer fails to make any payment when due, which other agreements Buyer and Seller hereby amend accordingly. Buyer shall be liable for all expenses, including attorneys' fees, relating to the collection of past due amounts. If any payment owed to Seller is not paid when due, it shall bear interest, at a rate to be determined by Seller, which shall not exceed the maximum rate permitted by law or 1 ½% per month, whichever is less, from the date on which it is due until it is paid. Buyer, at its expense, shall fully insure Products against all loss or damage until the Purchase Price has been paid in full. Any payment due to either party under this agreement shall be made in full without any set-off, restriction, condition deduction or withholding for or on account of any counterclaim. Should Buyer's financial responsibility become unsatisfactory to Seller, Seller may require Buyer to immediately pay in full all amounts due to Seller, and cash payments or security satisfactory to Seller may be required by Seller for future deliveries of the Goods and/or Software. If such cash payment or security is not provided, in addition to Seller's other rights and remedies, Seller may discontinue deliveries.
4. SHIPMENT AND DELIVERY: While Seller will use commercially reasonable efforts to maintain the delivery date(s) acknowledged or quoted by Seller, all shipping dates are approximate and not guaranteed. Seller reserves the right to make partial shipments. Seller, at its option, shall not be bound to tender delivery of any Goods and/or Software for which Buyer has not provided shipping instructions and other required information. If the shipment of the Goods and/or Software is postponed or delayed by Buyer for any reason, Buyer agrees to reimburse Seller for any and all storage costs and other additional expenses resulting therefrom. Risk of loss and legal title to the Goods shall transfer from Seller to Buyer upon delivery to and receipt by carrier at Seller’s shipping point. As permitted by local law, as collateral security for the payment of the purchase price of the Goods, Buyer hereby grants to Seller a lien on and security interest in and to all of the right, title and interest of Buyer in, to and under the Goods, wherever located, and whether now existing or hereafter arising or acquired from time to time, and in all accessions thereto and replacements or modifications thereof, as well as all proceeds (including insurance proceeds) of the foregoing. The security interest granted under this provision constitutes a purchase money security interest under applicable law. Unless otherwise specified by Seller, all shipments are EXW Seller’s shipping dock (Incoterms 2010). Any claims for shortages or damages suffered in transit are the responsibility of Buyer and shall be submitted by Buyer directly to the carrier. Shortages or damages must be identified and signed for at the time of delivery.
Buyer shall inspect Goods delivered to it by Seller immediately upon receipt, and, any course of dealing to the contrary notwithstanding, failure of Buyer to give Seller notice of any claim within 10 days after receipt of such Goods shall be an unqualified acceptance of such Goods.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: Subject to the limitations of Section 6 and unless otherwise specified by Seller in writing, Seller warrants that the Goods manufactured by Seller will be free from defects in material and workmanship and substantially meet Seller's published specifications at the time of shipment under normal use and regular service and maintenance for (a) the period specified in Seller’s then current product data sheets from the date of manufacture by Seller in the case of standard Embedded Power Goods, and (b) the period, if any, specified by Seller in writing in the case of custom Embedded Power Goods. Services will be performed in a professional manner and in accordance with industry standards. Unless otherwise stated in writing in a separate Software license agreement or otherwise, Seller makes no warranty as to any Goods/Software. THE WARRANTIES SET FORTH IN SECTIONS 5 AND 7 ARE THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE WARRANTIES GIVEN BY SELLER WITH RESPECT TO THE GOODS AND SOFTWARE AND ARE IN LIEU OF AND EXCLUDE ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARISING BY OPERATION OF LAW OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WHETHER OR NOT THE PURPOSE OR USE HAS BEEN DISCLOSED TO SELLER IN SPECIFICATIONS, DRAWINGS OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER OR NOT SELLER'S PRODUCTS ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED AND/OR MANUFACTURED BY SELLER FOR BUYER'S USE OR PURPOSE.
These warranties do not extend to any losses or damages due to misuse, accident, abuse, neglect, negligence (other than Seller's), unauthorized modification or alteration, use beyond rated capacity, unsuitable power sources or environmental conditions, improper installation, repair, handling, maintenance or application or any other cause not the fault of Seller. To the extent that Buyer or its agents have supplied specifications, information, representation of operating conditions or other data to Seller in the selection or design of the Goods and the preparation of Seller's quotation, and in the event that actual operating conditions or other conditions differ from those represented by Buyer, any warranties or other provisions contained herein that are affected by such conditions shall be null and void.
If within 30 days after Buyer's discovery of any warranty defects within the warranty period, Buyer notifies Seller thereof in writing, Seller shall, at its option and as Buyer’s exclusive remedy, repair, correct or replace per its return policy, or refund the purchase price for, that portion of the Goods found by Seller to be defective. Failure by Buyer to give such written notice within the applicable time period shall be deemed an absolute and unconditional waiver of Buyer's claim for such defects. Advance written permission to return Goods must be obtained from Seller. Such Goods must be shipped transportation prepaid to Seller. Returns made without proper written permission will not be accepted by Seller. Seller reserves the right to inspect Goods prior to authorizing return. Goods repaired or replaced during the warranty period shall be covered by the foregoing warranties for the remainder of the original warranty period or 90 days from the date of shipment, whichever is longer.
Buyer assumes all other responsibility for any loss, damage, or injury to persons or property arising out of, connected with, or resulting from the use of Goods and/or Software, either alone or in combination with other products/components.
PRE-PRODUCTION (Prototype, Engineering Verification Test, or Design Verification Test) UNITS ARE SOLD “WHERE IS, AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR INTENDED PURPOSE.
6. LIMITATION OF REMEDY AND LIABILITY: OTHER THAN WITH RESPECT TO THE PATENT AND COPYRIGHT WARRANTY PROVIDED UNDER SECTION 7 (FOR WHICH THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDIES ARE THOSE EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THAT SECTION), BUYER’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT OR ANY GOODS OR SOFTWARE PROVIDED HEREUNDER, WHETHER ARISING UNDER CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER THEORY OF LIABILITY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO REPAIR, CORRECTION OR REPLACEMENT, OR REFUND OF THE PURCHASE PRICE UNDER SECTION 5.
SELLER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES CAUSED BY DELAY IN PERFORMANCE AND THE REMEDIES OF BUYER SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT ARE EXCLUSIVE. EXCEPT FOR DAMAGES ARISING FROM DEATH, BODILY INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, IN NO EVENT, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF THE CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION (WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, INFRINGEMENT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OTHER TORT OR OTHERWISE), SHALL SELLER'S LIABILITY TO BUYER AND/OR ITS CUSTOMERS FOR ANY DIRECT DAMAGES OF ANY VARIETY (INCLUDING ANY BREACH OF SECTION 19 BELOW) EXCEED THE PRICE PAID BY BUYER FOR THE SPECIFIC GOODS OR SOFTWARE PROVIDED BY SELLER GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION. BUYER AGREES THAT IN NO EVENT SHALL SELLER'S LIABILITY TO BUYER AND/OR ITS CUSTOMERS EXTEND TO INCLUDE INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES. The term "consequential damages" shall include, but not be limited to, loss of anticipated profits, business interruption, loss of use, revenue, reputation and data, costs of procurement of substitute goods or services, costs incurred, including without limitation, for capital, fuel, power, cover and loss or damage to property or equipment.
It is expressly understood that any technical advice furnished by Seller with respect to the use of the Goods and/or Software is given without charge, and Seller assumes no obligation or liability for the advice given, or results obtained, all such advice being given and accepted at Buyer's risk.
7. PATENTS AND COPYRIGHTS: Subject to the limitations of the second paragraph of Section 6, Seller warrants that the Goods sold, except as are made specifically for Buyer according to Buyer's specifications, do not infringe any valid U.S. patent or copyright in existence as of the date of shipment. This warranty is given upon the condition that Buyer promptly notifies Seller of any claim or suit involving Buyer in which such infringement is alleged and cooperates fully with Seller and permits Seller to control completely the defense, settlement or compromise of any such allegation of infringement. Seller's warranty as to utility patents only applies to infringement arising solely out of the inherent operation according to Seller’s specifications and instructions of such Goods. In the event such Goods are held to infringe such a U.S. patent or copyright in such suit, and / or the use of such Goods is enjoined, or in the case of a compromise or settlement by Seller, Seller shall have the right, at its option and expense and as Buyer’s sole and exclusive remedy for a violation of the warranty contained in this Section, to procure for Buyer the right to continue using such Goods, or replace them with non-infringing Goods, or modify same to become non-infringing, or grant Buyer a credit for the five-year depreciated value of such Goods and accept return of them. In the event of the foregoing or, if in Seller’s opinion, Seller receives a credible allegation of infringement, Seller may also, at its option, cancel or suspend this agreement as to future deliveries of such Goods, without liability.
8. EXCUSE OF PERFORMANCE: Seller shall not be liable for delays in performance or for non-performance due to acts of God; acts of Buyer; war; fire; flood; weather; sabotage; epidemics; strikes or labor disputes; civil disturbances or riots; governmental requests, restrictions, allocations, laws, regulations, orders or actions; unavailability of or delays in transportation; restrictions, allocations or disruption of suppliers or default of suppliers; or unforeseen circumstances or any events or causes beyond Seller's reasonable control. Deliveries or other performance may be suspended for an appropriate period of time or canceled by Seller upon notice to Buyer in the event of any of the foregoing, but the balance of the agreement shall otherwise remain unaffected as a result of the foregoing.
If Seller determines that its ability to supply the total demand for the Goods, or to obtain material used directly or indirectly in the manufacture of the Goods, is hindered, limited or made impracticable due to causes set forth in the preceding paragraph, Seller may allocate its available supply of the Goods or such material (without obligation to acquire other supplies of any such Goods or material) among its purchasers on such basis as Seller determines to be equitable without liability for any failure of performance which may result therefrom.
9. RESCHEDULE/CANCELLATION: Unless otherwise agreed in writing by Seller, orders under this agreement may not be rescheduled or canceled by Buyer for any reason.
10. CHANGES: Buyer may request changes or additions to the Goods and/or Software consistent with Seller's specifications and criteria. In the event such changes or additions are accepted by Seller, Seller may revise the price, license fees and dates of delivery.
Seller reserves the right to change designs and specifications for the Goods and/or Software without prior notice to Buyer, except with respect to Goods and/or Software being made‑to‑order for Buyer. Seller shall have no obligation to install or make such change in any Goods and/or Software manufactured prior to the date of such change.
11. NUCLEAR/MEDICAL: GOODS AND SOFTWARE SOLD HEREUNDER ARE NOT FOR USE IN CONNECTION WITH ANY NUCLEAR, MEDICAL, LIFE-SUPPORT, AIRCRAFT CONTROL, AND OTHER HIGH RISK APPLICATIONS WHERE GOODS OR SOFTWARE FAILURE COULD LEAD TO LOSS OF LIFE OR CATASTROPHIC PROPERTY DAMAGE. Buyer accepts Goods and Software with the foregoing understanding, agrees to communicate the same in writing to any subsequent purchasers or users and to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Seller from any claims, losses, suits, judgments and damages, including incidental and consequential damages, arising from such use, whether the cause of action be based in tort, contract or otherwise, including allegations that the Seller’s liability is based on negligence or strict liability.
12. ASSIGNMENT: Buyer shall not assign its rights or delegate its duties hereunder or any interest herein without the prior written consent of Seller, and any such assignment, without such consent, shall be void.
13. SOFTWARE: Notwithstanding any other provision herein to the contrary, Seller or applicable third party licensor to Seller shall retain all rights of ownership and title in its respective Software, including without limitation all rights of ownership and title in its respective copies of such Software. Except as otherwise provided herein, Buyer is hereby granted a nonexclusive, non-transferable royalty free license to use the Software incorporated into the Goods solely for purposes of Buyer properly utilizing such Goods purchased from Seller. All other Software shall be furnished to, and used by, Buyer only after execution of Seller's (or the licensor’s) applicable standard license agreement, the terms of which are incorporated herein by reference. The Software is Seller’s own or Seller’s supplier’s proprietary information, and Buyer and its employees and agents shall not disclose the Software or any part thereof to others without Seller’s prior written consent.
14. TOOLING: Tool, die, and pattern charges, if any, are in addition to the price of the Goods and are due and payable upon completion of the tooling. All such tools, dies and patterns shall be and remain the property of Seller. Charges for tools, dies, and patterns do not convey to Buyer, title, ownership interest in, or rights to possession or removal, or prevent their use by Seller for other purchasers, except as otherwise expressly provided by Seller and Buyer in writing with reference to this provision.
15. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Seller's intellectual property, including without limitation, all patents, copyrights, trade secrets, trade-dress and any other intellectual property of any kind (including without limitation, that which exists in the underlying technology), furnished by or on behalf of Seller in connection with this agreement is the property of Seller and Seller retains all rights, including without limitation, exclusive rights of use, licensing, and sale. Possession of Goods, pre-production units, specifications, prints or drawings, or any other materials does not convey to Buyer any rights or license thereto.
16. BUYER’S COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS: In connection with the transactions contemplated by this agreement, Buyer is familiar with and shall fully comply with all applicable laws, regulations, rules and other requirements of the United States and of any applicable state, foreign and local governmental body in connection with the purchase, license, receipt, use, transfer and disposal of the Goods and/or Software.
17. EXPORT/IMPORT: Buyer agrees that all applicable import and export control laws, regulations, orders and requirements, including without limitation those of the United States and the European Union, and the jurisdictions in which the Seller and Buyer are established or from which Goods and/or Software may be supplied, will apply to their receipt and use. In no event shall Buyer use, transfer, release, import, export, Goods and/or Software in violation of such applicable laws, regulations, orders or requirements.
18. GOVERNMENT CONTRACT CONDITIONS: In the event Buyer supplies Goods or Software to the U.S. Government or to a prime contractor selling to the U.S. Government, the following Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) clauses are accepted by Seller and are made part of this agreement applicable to such supply: 52.222-21 Prohibition of Segregated Facilities; 52.222-26 Equal Opportunity; 52.222-35 Equal Opportunity For Special Disabled Veterans, Veterans of Vietnam Era, and Other Eligible Veterans; 52.222-36 Affirmative Action For Workers with Disabilities; and 52.219-8 Utilization of Small Business Concerns. No additional FAR or FAR Supplement clauses are accepted by Seller. In the event Buyer elects to sell Goods or Software to the U.S. Government or any national, state, provincial or local non-U.S. governmental entity or to a prime contractor selling to such entities, Buyer does so solely at its own option and risk, and agrees not to obligate Seller as a subcontractor or otherwise to the U.S. Government or other governmental entity except as described in this Section 18. Buyer remains solely and exclusively responsible for compliance with all statutes and regulations governing sales to the U.S. Government or any national, state, provincial or local non-U.S. governmental entity. Seller makes no representations, certifications or warranties whatsoever with respect to the ability of its Goods, Software, or prices to satisfy any such statutes and regulations.
19. CONFIDENTIALITY: All non-public, confidential or proprietary information of a party that (i) is marked as “confidential” or “proprietary” or (ii) is reasonably understood to be confidential or proprietary given the content of the information and the circumstances of disclosure (“Confidential Information”). Each party (as a “Receiving Party”) shall (a) hold all Confidential Information of the other party (as the “Disclosing Party”) in strict confidence; (b) not disclose Disclosing Party’s Confidential Information to any third party without express prior written approval from Disclosing Party; (c) disclose Disclosing Party’s Confidential Information only to such of its employees as actually require knowledge thereof in order to carry out their duties and are bound by confidentiality obligations at least as protective as the provisions contained in this agreement; and (d) use Disclosing Party’s Confidential Information only for the purpose of performing its obligations hereunder. Upon Disclosing Party’s request, Receiving Party shall promptly return all Confidential Information to Disclosing Party, as well as all documents and other materials incorporating any Disclosing Party Confidential Information. Disclosing Party shall be entitled to injunctive relief for any violation of this Section without the necessity of posting bond. This Section does not apply to information that is: (x) freely available in the public domain; (y) known to Receiving Party at the time of disclosure without any obligation of confidentiality; or (z) rightfully obtained by Receiving Party on a non-confidential basis from a third party. The obligations of this provision shall continue as to each piece of Confidential Information for a period of three (3) years following the date of disclosure of such Confidential Information, except as to Confidential Information that constitutes a trade secret under applicable law and is expressly identified as a trade secret in writing, in which case the foregoing obligations shall continue in perpetuity. In the event the parties have separately entered into a separate Non-Disclosure Agreement, the terms of such separate Non-Disclosure Agreement shall supersede this provision.
20. LAW; VENUE. These Terms will be governed by the laws of the State of Arizona giving effect to any conflicts of laws principles that require the application of the law of a different jurisdiction. Buyer shall only bring an action arising from or relating to these Terms in a federal or state court in Phoenix, Arizona, and Buyer irrevocably submits to the personal jurisdiction and venue of such court in such action or in any action brought in such courts by Seller. Buyer irrevocably consents to the service of process from any of the aforesaid courts by mailing copies thereof by registered or certified mail, postage prepaid, to Buyer at its address designated pursuant to these Terms, with such service of process to become effective fifteen (15) days after such mailing. Buyer agrees to pay Seller's reasonable attorney's fees and costs required to enforce Seller's rights hereunder. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods will not apply to these Terms.
21. ARBITRATION: Buyer agrees that Seller shall have the right to have any dispute between the parties arising out of or in connection with these Terms be settled by arbitration utilizing the dispute resolution procedures of the American Arbitration Association (AAA) in Denver, Colorado, by one arbitrator appointed in accordance with said rules. Judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in these Terms shall limit either party’s right to seek immediate injunctive or other equitable relief whenever the facts or circumstances would permit a party to seek such relief in a court of competent jurisdiction.
22. GENERAL PROVISIONS: These terms and conditions supersede all other communications, negotiations and prior oral or written statements regarding the subject matter of these terms and conditions. No change, modification, rescission, discharge, abandonment, or waiver of these terms and conditions shall be binding upon the Seller unless made in writing and signed on its behalf by a duly authorized representative of Seller. No conditions, usage of trade, course of dealing or performance, understanding or agreement purporting to modify, vary, explain, or supplement these terms and conditions shall be binding unless hereafter made in writing and signed by the party to be bound, and no modification or additional terms shall be applicable to this agreement by Seller's receipt, acknowledgment, or acceptance of purchase orders, shipping instruction forms, or other documentation containing terms at variance with or in addition to those set forth herein. Any such modifications or additional terms are specifically rejected and deemed a material alteration hereof. If this document shall be deemed an acceptance of a prior offer by Buyer, such acceptance is expressly conditional upon Buyer’s assent to any additional or different terms set forth herein. No waiver by either party with respect to any breach or default or of any right or remedy, and no course of dealing, shall be deemed to constitute a continuing waiver of any other breach or default or of any other right or remedy, unless such waiver be expressed in writing and signed by the party to be bound. All typographical or clerical errors made by Seller in any quotation, acknowledgment or publication are subject to correction. In the event that any provision or portion thereof contained in this agreement is held to be unenforceable, this agreement shall be construed without such provision or portion thereof. Provisions of this agreement which by their nature should apply beyond the termination of this agreement shall survive any such termination and will remain in full force and effect, including, but not limited to, Sections 6 (Limitation of Remedy and Liability), 11 (Nuclear/Medical), 12 (Assignment), 13 (Software), 14 (Tooling), 15 (Intellectual Property), 17 (Export/Import), 19 (Confidentiality), 22 (General Provisions).Revised July 24, 2020